Saturday, September 4, 2010

Working on an alchemy order through Etsy

In addition to DIY overload, I am working on an Alchemy order through Etsy. Here's the progress so far.

The leaf is from a Sassafras tree, at least that is what Erik tells me. It borders one side of our yard. And the seashell is from Ocracoke Island. The bowl was made, as seen below, by slumping a piece of slabbed clay over a covered shape. In this case it is an empty pickled beets jar. Yum! This is a simple and effective way to make a handbuilt bowl form. The bowl was scalloped but I excised those portions and pinched the bowl back in. I have to trim the edges tomorrow for a more finished look.

2 comments:

  1. Neat! How did the finished bowl turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bowls have been through their first firing and are ready to be glazed, hopefully this weekend. I'll post pictures when they come out. :)

    ReplyDelete