Monday, September 20, 2010

All glazed over...




Not my eyes, silly! My pots!

Pictures right before a recent glaze firing. The plates are currently for sale in my etsy shop.

The first pictures are everything that needs to be done before pots can be put in for a glaze firing. It's a lot of work!

Kiln Wash has to be put on the shelves to keep pots from sticking and also keep dripping glaze from seeping into the shelves and ruining them. That's pretty important because one 1/2 shelve costs 20 clams. That can get very expensive!


The kiln must also be vacuumed out before each firing to remove debris and dust, all of which can potentially damage pots and the fragile kiln brick. Adequate kiln maintenance is a must!




And then FINALLY I get to glaze pots to put in the kiln! I put a wax resist on the bottom and anywhere I do not want glaze and then wipe away any excess. Then they are all ready to get fired up!


























No comments:

Post a Comment